Monday, March 19, 2012

20 Questions with Blake Worsley



Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/Victoria Academy of Swimming
Coach: Randy Bennett
Age: 24
Height: 6’6”
Best Event: 200 Freestyle

• born in Vancouver, grew up in Steamboat Springs Colorado
• studied Marketing at the University of Denver in Colorado
• enjoys making movies
• in high school, he won the Glenwood Springs Film Festival and the Steamboat Springs Film Festival for best Drama movie (Jeremy).

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I started swimming when I was 8 years old because my mom bribed me with McDonalds.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
The 50 Backstroke

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
I remember during my first 50 freestyle I almost drowned and was balling my eyes out. My grandpa was on the side of the pool deck pushing me on.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
I would have to say my mom. She was my coach growing up and has always been my biggest supporter.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
Terry Fox. I really don’t think anyone can measure up to his courage!

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I would be working in the business world right now making much larger sums of money!

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
The thought of doing something that exceeds my own expectations. That and being able to eat as much as I want!

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I think about my goals and how far I have come already.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Graduate!

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
Basket Weaving/ Drawing pictures of dragons

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
It really depends on the day. If I could, I would eat something sweet after every practice.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
I was under the impression that they no longer existed. Isn’t everything remixed these days?

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
I could write a book on this section. If TV is dessert for your brain then my brain is morbidly obese. I would have to say Walking Dead, Parks and Recreation, and Game of Thrones for T.V. Movies would have to be Gladiator, The Fifth Element, and too many more to list.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I like to put on my headphones and get pumped up.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
I try to mix it up but I have been known to stand like Captain Morgan behind the block. I also like to find lucky pennies before big meets (every swimmer has to have one superstition right?).

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
I have got to have eggs in the morning before I swim. It’s a must!

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
It’s hard to say but I just won my first Grand Prix in Missouri and I was pretty happy with that.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
I want to make the Olympics this March at trials and from there I would like to do well in London this summer.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I’m an aspiring matador. I one day wish to bring tranquilizers to the sport instead of spears.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
Slow down and work on your technique. Swimming is most certainly about trying hard but make sure you get your technique down first. You wouldn’t want to build a skyscraper without the proper foundation and the same goes for swimming.

If you have any other questions for Blake, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment