Monday, March 26, 2012

20 Questions with Naomi Ellis



Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/National Group
Coach: Aaron Dahl
Age: 17
Height: 5’6”
Best Event: 200IM

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I began swimming with a summer team when I was 6. Then, switched over to club swimming when I was 8 years old.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
My favorite event as a 12&under swimmer was the 200 back. Ironically, it is now my least favorite.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
When I was 9, my coach entered me in my first 1500. I cried for 2 hours before the race. Coming into the wall for the finish was the best feeling in the world. Now, I look back on that day and laugh.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
My parents have definitely helped me the most along the way. There has never been a time when they haven’t been there for me when I needed them.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
Muhammad Ali

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I would most likely have played soccer if I were not a swimmer. I loved both swimming and soccer but had to decide between the two as I got older. I also have a secret fantasy of being a boxer (but Keegan told me it would ruin my face…)

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
Julia Wilkinson’s pep talks are what get me through most of our hard workouts. Whenever she sees me starting to fall off my game she is quick to tell me to “get it together”.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
Support from my teammates. It helps a lot having people to train with that have such high goals. It really helps you push yourself knowing that they are doing the same.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Time management is the most important thing for any swimmer I think. Using your time wisely to get your schoolwork done first, then doing the fun things.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
When I’m not at the pool, I enjoy spending time with my family, listening to music and hanging out with friends. If I am bored, I also enjoy cleaning and organizing my room (weird… I know)

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Chocolate-mint Genisoy bar!

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
Drake.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
Modern Family! Who doesn’t love that show?!

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
Eminem and 50 Cent usually play a pretty big role in my race preparation. Other then that, I just try and get excited about the race I’m about to swim. It’s hard to do well in a race when you don’t want to swim it.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Not at all. I have never been a big fan of having a set routine before a race. I just go with how I’m feeling that day and do what is necessary to prepare myself to swim fast.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
Spaghetti with mom’s homemade meat sauce and garlic bread

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Getting my first senior national cut in the 200 back.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
My biggest goal is making a national team and representing Canada.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
My first language was French.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
As a young age group swimmer I wish someone had explained to me that the harder you train in practice, the easier it will be in a race. It’s much easier to start practicing good habits when you’re younger than to have to change bad habits later on.

If you have any other questions for Naomi, please post them under comments and we will get her to answer them for you.

2 comments:

  1. I am 14 years old. I was 9 years old when i quit swimming competitively, i was so good but i got bored and didnt not want to go to practice. I know want to go back again and my dream is to represent my country, should i bother going back of would it be a waste of time ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. did u swim in go king fish before?

    ReplyDelete